Viareggio 17/02/13

Have I really not posted since February?

So here's Viareggio, a small seaside town in Tuscany that I visited in February.  It's a gorgeous, very flat (or at least in comparison to hilly Siena) seaside town complete with pastel buildings. If you look to one end of the street you see mountains, and at the other there's the sea.

 I went to Viareggio for the annual, political-satire float parade that takes place during the Carnevale season. Before going, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but gigantic floats showing Berlusconi on the loo, Monti marrying a cross-dresser, a Nicaraguan volcano, a giant, flapping hen, aliens jumping out of a toaster and finally, runaway dildos didn't happen to pop into my mind. Only in Italy?












 







 Yes, that's a ménage à trois between Obama, Merkel and Monti! Why not?

I personally think this guy's head looks like a giant piece of wheat...if anyone else has any more probable hypotheses, please enlighten me.



 The 'F the Austerity' Jazz band







A family event featuring the run-away toys.
 It's exactly what you think it is. 'Clean, won't rust, doesn't get jealous.'


 Monti's gay marriage. 'The marriage of dried figs'

 Another private moment of Berlusconi that we could all do without...

 Yes, there are real people in those skirts..how they managed to not fall out from so high, and from all their dancing remains a mystery. 

 The symbolism of aliens popping out of a toaster...anyone?

My favourite, the Minator.






 Fin.

1 comment:

  1. Stunning!
    I've missed your posts.
    Glad to have you back :)

    ReplyDelete