Venice, part II




Here comes the main event, the costumes! Grumbling about the crowds was soon replaced by gasping about the fancy dress and my day improved incredibly. If you ever get the chance, go to Venice for Carnevale, it's unforgettable. What amazed me the most was the commitment to the celebration. Beyond dressing up, the body language is all there with people really getting into character carrying themselves about with courtly decorum. People of all ages and at times whole families are in costume. The most popular theme is the Baroque, which along with Venice's building makes for an incredibly atmospheric visit. I can't really think of any other way to described Venice unless you want a page of verbose gushing, so I'll just stop here and say that it was the most exhilarating time.

After spending the day snapping pictures, and attempting to look at the mosaics in San Marco (read: crowded) Venice put on its last grand show for the Carnevale, a concert in the Piazza. I won't soon forget the stage full of Baroque-clothed people (and DJ), (ba)rocking out to cheesy electronic music. Especially when some of the dancers range from a middle aged gentlemen tapping around in his court-heels complete with a feather headdress and pastel coloured garb, to a pair of giant demon dancers on huge springs, to a break dancing Baroque youth, to the DJ in his pink pantaloons, gold-brocade jacket and saber.

 
Be still my heart!





These pale costumes in the light of the setting sun were some of my favourites. The floral patterning reminded me Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, very exciting for me.

















 How I will spend my older years...

 Mexican standoff 





 Magnificent Doge's Palace. Patterning to die for.


 Had to take very considered shots of San Marco since half of it was obscured by scaffolding, like almost every monument in Europe!


 



Mosaic detail. Use of different coloured tiles to create depth and shape is just beautiful.

 Piazza San Marco from the roof of the church.













One of my favourite photos of the day. A suitably dreamy blur!










2 comments:

  1. The costumes are incredible! It so does remind me of Marie Antoinette too!!! I want to visit venice during this time just to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little child gentleman creature was unbelievable. Beautiful photos though ru!

    ReplyDelete