Duomo di Siena



 Much over-due update. What with settling in, finding more-permanent accommodation, the Venice Carneval and my intensive Italian-language course five days a week I haven't had a minute to sit down. These pictures are from my second day in Siena when I went to visit the famous Duomo (c.1215), whose facade, to me, looks like a cross between a wedding-cake and gingerbread house. Well, it's otherwise indescribable. Look how ornate it is! It was a really dreary, rainy day, and was possibly colder inside the colossal church than out, I was exhaling little puffs of steam. All in all, a perfectly atmospheric day to visit a medieval church.
 
 The last of the green smudge. After much deliberation, I took the green monster off the iphone (the rest of the shots, besides these two were taken on the camera). I hope you don't miss his presence too much.

 




 The pulpit




 Madonna and Child.



 I'm stucc(oed) on you.


Up from below.

 Every surface, including the floor, is a piece of art.



The astounding walls of the Biblioteca Piccolomini (Home to beautiful manuscripts, which don't photograph too well owing to the glass casing. Fantastic to see the vellum up close.) Minimalism's worst nightmare.

Had to take a photo of this scene of medieval courtly love. When is it not beautiful?

3 comments:

  1. I miss the Monster.. heheh. I remember that church being cold.

    eeek,

    x
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the carved Mary Magdalene by Donatello? I really loved it. These photos are beautiful! How amazing is the facade? And the Biblioteca Piccolomini! The frescoes are so incredible.

    ReplyDelete