Venice, part I

 


Owing to the hundreds or photos I took in Venice, two weeks have past since I went, with the task of sorting through them becoming every day a little more daunting.
We left Siena at 6.30 am by bus, arriving to Venice just after 11. I never seem to be able to sleep on transport when I'm traveling no matter how tired I am, because I'd be missing every new view out the window. I think I was the only person awake on the bus, and it was all a bit overwhelming what with all these people with their heads lolling over to the side and their necks on full, gory, display to me. I kind of sat there with my heart racing for a while and just tightened my scarf (double protection turtleneck and scarf!) and tried to ignore it. I hope anyone reading knows me well enough to have heard about my fear of necks, if not, now you do. *Shudders*

Firstly, Venice was crowded, being the last day of it's famous Carnevale it was a huge event for locals and foreigners. Having been advised that Piazza San Marco could be reached on foot in about an hour, and that there were signs clearly marking the way, we set off. Venice however, is a city of very narrow streets so the three obstacles of a) burgeoning crowds b) minimal signage and  c) dead or should I say 'canal' ends..turned journey into a two and a half hour ordeal, leading us to question the existence of San Marco. Constant photographing could also have been a major time-eater, since everything was just so incredible and even though I knew I was going to return, I had to document it all!We had perfect weather, clear with sun and no wind. I've split my photos into the first the cityscape and and then the costumes plus the evening revelry, which you will find in the next post.

Snow in Tuscany!











































1 comment:

  1. I remember visiting here as a child. Mum refused to pay 70euro to ride a gondola.. totally understandable now. but at the time I was devastated.

    ReplyDelete