Sunday afternoon


Arrived in Sweden on the 17th of January. I've been procrastinating sitting down and ordering my thoughts, so I'm going to KISS (keep it simple, stupid) and put some headings to use. Although I've only been here for 5 days, It is possibly the most beautiful place I have visited, although my impending travels this year may skew this judgement.

The woods (are lovely, dark and deep. I can't ever think of that word without that Frost poem popping into my head) 
 On Sunday we decided to be real Swedes and take a walk in the woods, braving the sub-zero  exercise's sake. The have a saying here, 'There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing' which they certainly proved right. The sun was shining, masking the true temperature of -6 degrees, and the Swedes (the funniest collective noun and homograph! I can't get the image of running vegetables out of my head now) were out in their masses, jogging in outfits not dissimilar to those worn at Princes park back home, just leggings and light running jackets, no gloves, no hats. Hardcore.
 
 Lamps in windows.
 All houses here have in their front windows identical lamps which they turn on after dark. One benefit of the lamp-phenomenon, coupled with the fact that no-one here ever draws their blinds is the unhindered view it gives you into peoples homes. Swedish design taste is perhaps, unlike fluoride, added to the water here as my empirical (voyeurism) data has revealed to me what would be an unsettling uniformity (Pleasantville, anyone?) in house decor were it not all so tasteful and Scandinavian. They have design all thought out.

More obligatory weather comments
The cold weather has actually been a nice change from Malaysia's humidity, although as I write this I am considering the limitations of thermals and jeans. Not to worry though, I will be in Siena soon where the weather jumps between 0 to 14 and which, comparably to Lund's average temperature of about -3, sounds positively toasty.


Local swimming pool. Clearly a must-have/high-usage amenity in Sweden.

Obligatory photo of the ironic, snow-frosted Dolphin.


Yes, all the houses here really do look this quaint.

Wooden-cladding eat your heart out. (Where does that expression even come from?)

 Peekaboo sun.

Two monkeys.

Forest path. The snow here is so thick and compacted, it feels like walking on hard sand.

Some sheep, or goats...they all had horns, does this make them wooly goats? I do not know. They were certainly friendly little guys.

Out in the woods, getting some perspective.

Snow-caked pine tree! It's winter, alright!

People skiing on a huge frozen lake! I can't ski and much less swim, so I left it to the professionals.

Cookies and cream.

Waning sunlight. 


The peekaboo Sun's last stand...


3 comments:

  1. The forest looks incredible - kind of like Narnia! Have we had that conversation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think I mentioned that :p might go for another walk today before all the snow melts :s

      Delete